You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring to a different machine

I have a Time Machine backup from my old mid-2012 MacBook Pro running Mojave. Can I Restore this to my brand new (mid 2020) MacBook Pro running Catalina? I've read some things that makes me think this may not be as simple as doing a standard TimeMachine Restore from the new machine.

Bonus question- Old machine was running MS Office 2011. I'll be loading MS Office 2019 on the new machine. Does it make a difference which one (TM backup or Office 2019) I do first?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 10:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 11:36 PM

You might want to use Migration Assistant. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350. It will use a Time Machine backup as a source.

If you choose to transfer programs, you’d want to install Office after - as you’re probably aware, Office 2011 won’t run on Catalina since it is 32-bit software.

If you don’t have many applications installed it might be best to just transfer the data and install the apps fresh.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 10, 2020 11:36 PM in response to BikerPaul

You might want to use Migration Assistant. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350. It will use a Time Machine backup as a source.

If you choose to transfer programs, you’d want to install Office after - as you’re probably aware, Office 2011 won’t run on Catalina since it is 32-bit software.

If you don’t have many applications installed it might be best to just transfer the data and install the apps fresh.

Restoring to a different machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.