You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library and catalina

I have just got new iMac with catalina and on opening the new tv app all of my tv shows and movies stored on external drive were there. I have just noticed that all new shows I add are going to users/music on main hard drive and not to my external drive, also noticed that checking file after sorting new shows even though I selected movie it shows as in home movies but is in movies, all a bit weird, I just want everything on the external hard drive. Changed the location in preferences on tv app but still go to music folder on main hd

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 1:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 5:03 AM

When you change the media folder location in preferences existing content that has been added to the library will stay on the same path until you consolidate the library (File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files). Consolidating makes new copies, you need to manually clean up the originals.

If you make metadata changes file names and paths are only updated to reflect those changes if the file is inside the designated media folder and the option to keep the media folder organized is active. In rare instances when those conditions are met but there is still no change turning keep organized off and then back on again should fix things.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2020 5:03 AM in response to dennisfromsalisbury east

When you change the media folder location in preferences existing content that has been added to the library will stay on the same path until you consolidate the library (File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files). Consolidating makes new copies, you need to manually clean up the originals.

If you make metadata changes file names and paths are only updated to reflect those changes if the file is inside the designated media folder and the option to keep the media folder organized is active. In rare instances when those conditions are met but there is still no change turning keep organized off and then back on again should fix things.

tt2

iTunes library and catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.