You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain access

I am trying to set up my keychain passwords access. I see all my passwords on iCloud/passwords, but each time I try to establish access to a password under the access tab, it says "access for this item cannot be edited." Help?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 11:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 8:54 PM

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/keychain-access/kyca1085/mac

• The Access Control pane in the Get Info window lets you determine whether you need a password to use an item. For example, if you select “Ask for Keychain password” for an item, you have to type the keychain password as well as the item’s password to gain access to that item.

Open keychain access using spotlight , in iCloud section , if you double click the Apple ID say example1@icloud.com

You saw .

You have to enter admin password for Mac and click on allow .

Options are there to allow all applications to access this item , confirm before allowing , the secured that is always to be used is ask for keychain password that is admin password and click on save .

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2020 8:54 PM in response to jonfromamherst

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/keychain-access/kyca1085/mac

• The Access Control pane in the Get Info window lets you determine whether you need a password to use an item. For example, if you select “Ask for Keychain password” for an item, you have to type the keychain password as well as the item’s password to gain access to that item.

Open keychain access using spotlight , in iCloud section , if you double click the Apple ID say example1@icloud.com

You saw .

You have to enter admin password for Mac and click on allow .

Options are there to allow all applications to access this item , confirm before allowing , the secured that is always to be used is ask for keychain password that is admin password and click on save .

Jul 15, 2020 5:23 PM in response to jonfromamherst

Hi jonfromamherst,

We see that you haven't received a reply to your post. Here is some information you can provide that may help others to respond.

What are the exact steps you're taking to set up Keychain password access?

What kind of access are you attempting to establish for these saved passwords?

Have you been able to make these changes previously?

Best Regards.

Keychain access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.