You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset user password on new macbook pro now cannot login to admin

Hi there,

I purchased a 2nd hand macbook, and logged in with User and password all going perfectly.

To personalise it, I changed the password, through System Preferences and Users. Clicking the lock to make changes.

That worked.

I then thought to change the user to my name, and clicked lock to make changes, entered personal password, still with Username from purchase.

I right clicked on the User, and it gave me advanced options, which I clicked on, and I had the fields to fill in to change. So I changed this to my name and new password.

this is where the difficulty came. I can login to the screen at the beginning of switching on. However, I was downloading garageband, and it wanted the admin username and password. There is only the one username and password I have used, which was the admin one in the first place.

It now doesn't recognise this.

I also had the same issue with downloading firefox, it asked for admin username and password but didn't recognise.

When I go into System Preferences, and click lock to make changes, it doesn't accept either username/password.

I have tried rebooting with Terminal and resetting password, but it doesn't solve the issue.

is there a solution, or does it mean rebooting and doing a reinstall? I have High Sierra, with 16gb on two memory slots 8gb each.

I wish I had not changed it at all, and set a new user instead!

Many thanks in advance

Sarah

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 10:10 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jul 14, 2020 1:39 PM in response to Sasa42

According to my information, your model is capable of doing an Internet Recovery. Here are the steps. You will need a good and fast Internet connection to the computer. If you can use Ethernet, then that would be much better even if just to do this.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Holding down all four keys can be a bit of a stretch, so test yourself before proceeding. If you don't get it quite right, then the computer will just reboot the installed system. Then you have to try it again.

If all goes well you should end up with a version of Lion - probably, 7.5. Once you get that set up, then you can upgrade to High Sierra which is the last supported version of macOS on that model. After all this is done, you are now the registered owner of macOS.

Jul 15, 2020 3:35 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

i am following your instructions, though have a problem.

when I am in the Erase menu, in the format drop down there is no option for GUID, however it shows at the bottom of the screen in Partition Map Scheme.

what option should I chose from the Format menu?

I have clicked erase.

at the moment I cannot edit anything in the next menu of Partition.

See attached two photos

Many thanks

Sarah

Jul 14, 2020 11:21 AM in response to Sasa42

Sarah,

I think you purchased a used computer that was not prepared correctly for a new owner. The seller should have wiped the drive and installed the original version of macOS that came pre-installed from the factory. To help you, I need some information. Let's start with the specific Mac model information: To find the complete model information select About This Mac from the Apple menu. In the dialog you will see the currently installed version of macOS. Below that will be some information about your computer model. Please post the information or make a snapshot of the dialog and post it in your reply.

Jul 15, 2020 10:33 AM in response to Sasa42

OK. No problem. The Internet Recovery remote is using an older version of Disk Utility. Here's what to do:

Under Partition Scheme select one (1) partition.

From the Format dropdown menu select Mac OS Extended, Journaled.

Click on the Erase button.

Thereafter, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation process. Because this is being done over a network connection, it may be a little slower than you might expect but be. patient. Let me know if you have any other issues finishing the installation. I'll be around through the day.

Jul 16, 2020 10:35 AM in response to Sasa42

Glad to hear that news!

Since you are new to the forums, when you mark you problem/question as solved, you should mark the reply that actually solved your issue. That way, others reading the topic will know what solved your issue. Unfortunately, you can only mark one reply as Solved. This is a common mistake, so you need not worry about it. Put it aside for the next time.

All the best to you, as well.

Reset user password on new macbook pro now cannot login to admin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.