You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using dual monitor set up with one program

I don't think this is possible on the iMac but is there a way to extend one application window across both monitors? I have an external monitor connected to my iMac and arranged in the display settings so it's not set to mirror. I can use both monitors independently but I can't seem to extend one window across both monitors. You can do this on PCs so if you have a large spreadsheet, for instance, it goes across all the monitors. Is this possible? I spoke to apple support and they said no but trying to see if there is a solution. Is this an macOS issue or video card? This is for a brand new iMac 27" if that makes any difference.

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 1:49 PM

Basically it is the default Spaces settings in Mission Control that is messing with you. Personally I never care much for Spaces, but I guess it kind of makes sense for folks using a single display.

To fix it, go to Apple > System Preferences > Mission Control and un-checking all of the boxes on the Mission Control preference panel, then you should be able to correctly Span a window across both displays.

That is, if both displays are the same size and resolution. Sadly if that are not, then you will most likely have a size and alignment problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2020 1:49 PM in response to wh0y00

Basically it is the default Spaces settings in Mission Control that is messing with you. Personally I never care much for Spaces, but I guess it kind of makes sense for folks using a single display.

To fix it, go to Apple > System Preferences > Mission Control and un-checking all of the boxes on the Mission Control preference panel, then you should be able to correctly Span a window across both displays.

That is, if both displays are the same size and resolution. Sadly if that are not, then you will most likely have a size and alignment problem.

Jul 14, 2020 4:26 PM in response to den.thed

Thank you @den.thed! Your fix worked. While my screen is same size, the resolution is different (4k vs 5k iMac) so the alignment isn't perfect but I can work with that. It's really for a virtual desktop so don't necessarily need to span one window across both screens for reading. I just need the screen real estate for multiple applications on the virtual desktop. The only other thing I needed to do was log off and log back on.

Using dual monitor set up with one program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.