You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is backed up if you check Mail in the iCloud System Prefs

This question is for the macOS on a 2020 MacBook Pro. In the System Prefs under iCloud their is a Mail option. I'm trying to find out what gets backed up. Is it all your mail from all accounts (I have several) or is it just your iCloud mail account that goes to the cloud? I'm having trouble finding the answer.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 4:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 8:03 AM

Hey there, dubmann2,

Thanks for asking about the iCloud Mail option in System Preferences here in the Apple Support Communities. We're happy to provide you with some information!

The iCloud Mail option is not a backup for your email, but rather an opportunity to use iCloud as your email service. If you enable it in System Preferences, you will be able to select an @icloud.com email address if you do not have one, and will add it to the Mail app for your use. If your Apple ID is already an email address that ends in @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, it will add it to the Mail app if it isn't already there. You can also access your iCloud Mail at iCloud.com.

You can get more information on iCloud Mail in the following Apple Support articles:

What is iCloud Mail? - Apple Support

Using your @icloud.com email address - Apple Support

If you would like to back up any information on your Mac, including email, you can use Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Have a great weekend!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2020 8:03 AM in response to dubmann2

Hey there, dubmann2,

Thanks for asking about the iCloud Mail option in System Preferences here in the Apple Support Communities. We're happy to provide you with some information!

The iCloud Mail option is not a backup for your email, but rather an opportunity to use iCloud as your email service. If you enable it in System Preferences, you will be able to select an @icloud.com email address if you do not have one, and will add it to the Mail app for your use. If your Apple ID is already an email address that ends in @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, it will add it to the Mail app if it isn't already there. You can also access your iCloud Mail at iCloud.com.

You can get more information on iCloud Mail in the following Apple Support articles:

What is iCloud Mail? - Apple Support

Using your @icloud.com email address - Apple Support

If you would like to back up any information on your Mac, including email, you can use Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Have a great weekend!

Jul 18, 2020 1:09 PM in response to dubmann2

Mails are only synced with iCloud.com if the box of mail is checked in system preferences > iCloud , they are not backed up in iCloud see the article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

Some information is not included in an iCloud backup but can be added to iCloud and shared across multiple devices like Mail.

The data of mails from different accounts it could be POP accounts are saved on web servers , IMAP accounts only syncs web server accounts like gmail , yahoo ....etc with apple mail application .

You have utilised the web server accounts and created an Apple ID that is signed in system preferences > iCloud and only turned on the application to sync with iCloud https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207689

What is backed up if you check Mail in the iCloud System Prefs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.