You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voiceover volume slider is locked at 0 when using USB interface

Hi all,

Macbook Air 2020

Catalina 10.15.5

Focusrite Scarlett USB interface

I'm trying to use the voiceover feature in iMovie, but the volume control slider is locked at 0. When I switch over to the internal microphone, the slider works.

The Scarlett is selected as the input in both System Prefs and in iMovie, as well as I've checked with the security settings as iMovie has been granted access to the mic.

I've got the same issue when I try and use Garageband.

The computer does see the interface, and it works. I the meters in system prefs respond to audio when I've got the Scarlett selected, and it works AOK in Amadeus Pro.

I tried the same setup on a brand new iMac, also running 10.15.5 and the latest version of iMovie, and it's the same problem - the volume slider is frozen at 0.

Anyone else having this problem? I've just spend 20 min googling around on it, and I'm not finding any articles that are on topic.

thx!

MacBook

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 9:06 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 16, 2020 12:11 AM in response to Aj Epstein

It is possible that your mic may not be compatible with a Mac computer, since it won’t work on either of your Macs.

Try calling Apple Support and see if the savvy techs there can figure it out. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the Contact Support item at the upper right of this forum’s screen. Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number. If ou have time, please post back with your results.

— Rich

Jul 16, 2020 7:58 AM in response to Rich839

As an added note, I tried my iMovie voiceover with an external mic (Logitech) and the volume slider worked fine. I didn't need to select it in the AudioMIDI settings. I was not able to replicate your findings of a slider locked at 0. I only mention this to indicate that the voiceover can work with an external mic. It is puzzling as to why it won't work with your particular external mic.

Anyway, good luck with this. Hopefully the Apple Support people will be able to figure this out.

-- Rich

Voiceover volume slider is locked at 0 when using USB interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.