You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic 6th Gen. will not charge from mains USB charger

This post is to re-open the thread from 2010 - 'ipod classic will not charge from wall outlet'.

Back then it seems many people were having the same issue as I am having today -

One of my ipod classic 6th Generation will not charge from an apple USB mains plug charger but will only charge when connected to the MacBook Pro.

The thread mentioned above was very helpful and the solution seemed to be for some that the more modern 12w USB chargers do not work with the iPod Classic but the 5w chargers do.

I have three iPods - a 5th generation 30G and two 6th generation 80G.

• The older 5th generation ipod charges from a 12w apple USB mains charger
  • One of the 6th generation ipods charges from the same 12w USB charger no problem but the other one doesn't.
  • I have a 5w USB mains charger for another device - I've plugged in both 6th generation iPods - again, the first one charges and the second one doesn't.

So it appears to me the 12w/5w charger theory does not seem to be the solution, unfortunately.

My only conclusion so far is the second 6th gen. ipod must have a faulty charger port.

If anyone here has any further suggestions please post.

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 6:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 9:50 AM

If it charges somewhere then it may just be a question of tolerances rather than a fault per se. Either way the device is way out of warranty so there is nothing to be done. Charge it where it is happy to charge.

tt2

3 replies

Jul 17, 2020 9:47 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, the ipod with the problem will charge when connected to the USB port on a MacBook Pro and also when connected via a USB dock to the MacBook Pro but only when the computer is on.

As mentioned, I have another 6th gen. ipod with same model number (but software version is different) - this ipod charges from a 12w USB mains charger no problem .

iPod Classic 6th Gen. will not charge from mains USB charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.