You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

monitor connection for Mac mini

On my new Mac mini, every time I start up, I have to unplug the hdmi cable to my monitor and plug it back in before my monitor works. This is going to wear out the port before long. Any idea why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 8:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 5:46 AM

Try and set your monitor to manually set to HDMI. Sometimes monitors go through auto sensing inputs and they don't detect properly. HDMI requires a handshake between device and display. The other thing to try is a different HDMI cable. Over the years I have experienced this type of issue on both PC's and Mac's detecting HDMI monitors. The only other option is use a different type of display input if possible.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2020 5:46 AM in response to randall288

Try and set your monitor to manually set to HDMI. Sometimes monitors go through auto sensing inputs and they don't detect properly. HDMI requires a handshake between device and display. The other thing to try is a different HDMI cable. Over the years I have experienced this type of issue on both PC's and Mac's detecting HDMI monitors. The only other option is use a different type of display input if possible.

Jul 18, 2020 12:42 PM in response to den.thed

I am using a Samsung SyncMaster Display 4-inch (1920 x 1080) Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB graphics. No where on Apple's website do I see where is says that not all monitors work well with the mini. And Five hours on Tech support no one mentioned that. It may be true, and I hope it is, but I would also hope that tech support was aware of this and could simply say so.

I wonder if I could use my existing monitor with a DVI to thunderbolt cable would solve the problem???

monitor connection for Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.