You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did this version require you to upgrade windows word and ]d and excel ? When my mac desktop installed Catalina I can no longer use Excel or work without buying an upgrade is this because of the mac upgrade?

When my mac desktop installed Catalina I can no longer use Excel or work without buying an upgrade is this because of the mac upgrade?

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 5:40 PM

2 replies

Jul 18, 2020 6:00 PM in response to Olddog2

If you have an old version of MS Office (say, Office Mac 2011, which is a 32-bit application), then yes, upgrading to Catalina would be a factor in your versions of Word & Excel no longer working. Catalina requires applications to be 64-bit.

Microsoft started warning users at least 3 years ago that the 32-bit versions of Office would not work on future releases of macOS. Older versions of MS Office started showed a warning banner when you would open the apps, encouraging users to upgrade to Office 365.

Did this version require you to upgrade windows word and ]d and excel ? When my mac desktop installed Catalina I can no longer use Excel or work without buying an upgrade is this because of the mac upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.