You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get old microsoft word back after upgrade to catalina

how do i get my old microsoft office back after catalina upgrade

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 12:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 7:00 AM

Microsoft only supports the current Microsoft 365 and Office 2019 for Mac suites on Catalina. It also supports the 64-bit Office 2016 for Mac which they have indicated will be retired in Fall 2020.

If you upgraded from macOS Sierra or earlier, and even if you had a last Time Machine backup from that installation, you would not be able to activate a reinstallation of Office 2008/2011 because Microsoft has turned off those activation servers. If you upgraded from High Sierra or Mojave, you may be able to go back by booting into Recovery, and choosing to Restore from your Time Machine backup, which would preserve your personal files and installed applications, though you may still need to reinstall your version of MS Office (if 2011).

Paragraph 2 is a royal PITA and you would be better served moving forward with a new 365 subscription, or single-purchase Office 2019 for Mac. Either will open your existing MS documents. And has BDAqua has mentioned, there is the free, 64-bit LibreOffice Suite which is a Microsoft Office clone.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 20, 2020 7:00 AM in response to djbalmer09

Microsoft only supports the current Microsoft 365 and Office 2019 for Mac suites on Catalina. It also supports the 64-bit Office 2016 for Mac which they have indicated will be retired in Fall 2020.

If you upgraded from macOS Sierra or earlier, and even if you had a last Time Machine backup from that installation, you would not be able to activate a reinstallation of Office 2008/2011 because Microsoft has turned off those activation servers. If you upgraded from High Sierra or Mojave, you may be able to go back by booting into Recovery, and choosing to Restore from your Time Machine backup, which would preserve your personal files and installed applications, though you may still need to reinstall your version of MS Office (if 2011).

Paragraph 2 is a royal PITA and you would be better served moving forward with a new 365 subscription, or single-purchase Office 2019 for Mac. Either will open your existing MS documents. And has BDAqua has mentioned, there is the free, 64-bit LibreOffice Suite which is a Microsoft Office clone.

how do i get old microsoft word back after upgrade to catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.