You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free Up iPhone Storage

Hi, this probably sounds like a real rookie question but I need some tips. I'm trying to free up space on my iPhone, and I thought that I could do that by adding space to my iCloud. But when I go to 'General' then 'iPhone Storage' it says "15.5 GB of 16 GB Used", and then I go to my 'iCloud' storage, it says "8.6 GB of 50 GB Used", so there's tons of space on my iCloud not being used. I thought iCloud is how you free up space on your phone, does it not work that way? Please advise. Thank you.

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 4:33 PM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2020 5:38 PM in response to KGJams

KGJams:

Simply increasing iCloud Storage has no affect upon Local (device) storage.

However, there are ways of setting up Apps to default to storing their files on iCloud, rather than defaulting to storing on the device's Local storage. (This is a longer term solution, and will respond to increases in iCloud Storage.)

First. Let's help you take care of the more immediate problem of freeing up Local Storage.

When you "go to 'General' then 'iPhone Storage'", it should offer some "RECOMMENDATIONS" for what you can do to help free up space:

• Offload Unused Apps (this goes along with what zinacef wrote.
  • Review Downloaded Video files
  • Review Photos
  • etc.

Under those recommendations, there will be a listing (in decreasing size) of what Apps are taking up what space.

You can use that to guide you in what to remove, or whatever.

• An important thing to keep in mind is that just as with Computers (Macs or PCs), "Deleting" doesn't, necessarily, permanently remove the file, immediately: you have to take an additional step, like "emptying the Trash".

For the Longer Term, you can go to Settings->Apple ID (your name, at the top of the lefthand listing)->iCloud.

Below "Manage Storage" there is a listing of "APPS USING ICLOUD".

By default, many of those Apps will have iCloud Storage "turned off", but you can use the "switches" to turn iCloud usage on. (Some, like Photos, actually have a submenu of additional options you can set up, so things work the way you want them to.)

By turning on iCloud Storage, for many of your Apps, you can save Local Storage, since iCloud Files are only Cached on your device, as you use the files (on a file-by-file basis).

It also makes it easy to access those files on other machines and on iCloud, such as through a Web Browser.

Now. Just because you have turned on iCloud usage, for an app, doesn't, automatically, move already created filed out to iCloud: you'll use the particular App, or the Files App (looks like a Blue Folder on a White background) to move files over to iCloud.

(The operation will be called "Move", but, as of the last time I Moved files between Storage systems [like Local vs. iCloud] the Move, typically, becomes a Copy operation. So. If you actually want to remove the file from your Local Storage, you'll need to perform a separate Delete.)

• An important thing to keep in mind is that just as with Computers (Macs or PCs), "Deleting" doesn't, necessarily, permanently remove the file, immediately: you have to take an additional step, like "emptying the Trash".

For Photos, the "Trash" is the "Recently Deleted" folder, within Photos.

For many other files, the "Trash" is the "Recently Deleted" folder that you will probably only see within the Files App, mentioned above.

Note, however, that that "Recently Deleted" folder is a merged "Trash" for not only your Local Storage but also most of your Cloud Storage providers (like iCloud Drive, Google Drive, and many others).

So. When using the Files App, within the "Recently Deleted" folder, you can hold your touch on a file and a popup menu will appear: the options will be Delete Now, Recover, and Info.

You can use Info to find what type of Storage space a given file is using.

Then you can decide what you want to do with that file.

Jul 21, 2020 4:58 PM in response to Halliday

Thank you. How do you do that? Voice Memos is currently taking up 2.48 GB. It's my most used app. I have it connected to my iCloud, so I thought that it's data was going to my cloud and not my phone. I also have my photos connected to my cloud, and that takes up quite a bit of space too. Maybe I've missed a step? And this is a whole other question- but I just checked my iCloud and I can't find where any of my phone data is on it. Not sure how to find that, seems like it shouldn't be that hard.

Free Up iPhone Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.