You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios app family sharing

I downloaded a free dictionary from the App Store for my iPhone. I liked it so I bought the premium version (an in-app purchase). I have app sharing set up with my wife but when we downloaded the app on her iPhone (it was registered as purchased under my name on her iPhone), she got the free version, not the paid for unlocked premium version.

Does this mean premium versions bought as an in-app purchase cannot be shared between family members? Or have I done it wrong?

We both have the iPhone 11 Pro on IOS 13.5.1

Thank you for your help.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 11:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 12:27 AM

It appears that you have the Family Sharing setup correctly and looks like you also have Purchase sharing set up right.

The only thing that I can think of is that app is not eligible for Family Sharing. In other words, the app manufacturer does not allow the paid version to be shared with Family members. App manufacturers decide which apps can be shared with the Family. Go back to the App store and read the app's description and see whether it is eligible for Family Sharing.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2020 12:27 AM in response to godwyn1066

It appears that you have the Family Sharing setup correctly and looks like you also have Purchase sharing set up right.

The only thing that I can think of is that app is not eligible for Family Sharing. In other words, the app manufacturer does not allow the paid version to be shared with Family members. App manufacturers decide which apps can be shared with the Family. Go back to the App store and read the app's description and see whether it is eligible for Family Sharing.

Axel F.

ios app family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.