You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attachments are taking up 12 Gigs - can i delete them?

With a paltry 128GB SSD, I'm finding trouble with the limited storage space on the mac.

I've found iMessage/Message attachments are taking up 12 Gigs on /Library/Messages/Archive

Can I delete these from the mac, yet still have access to these attachments (pictures, videos, messages) on the iPhone?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 11:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 11:36 PM

Thanks - I could not wait.

I've deleted the folders in /Library/Messages/Attachments. The iPhone is still holding a copy of the attachments without the need to download any attachments.

2 replies

Jul 22, 2020 11:26 PM in response to sayhong_

sayhong_ Said:

Attachments are taking up 12 Gigs - can i delete them? :[...]Can I delete these from the mac, yet still have access to these attachments (pictures, videos, messages) on the iPhone?

———-

Download these to your iPhone:

If you have space on your iPhone, then download these attachments to the iPhone. Once downloaded, remove them from the Mac.

Another option...

Use iCloud:

Upgrade your iCloud Storage Plan, and then upload these attachments to it.

Go Here:

iCloud Storage Plans and Pricing - Apple

Attachments are taking up 12 Gigs - can i delete them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.