You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures automatically going into Photos on MacBook Pro retina OS Catalina

If I download a picture from the internet and then open it on my desktop it automatically gets loaded to the Photos app. I have already turned things off in the preferences general pane. I do not have pictures going to the cloud automatically. I cannot find any other way to prevent this from happening.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 5:44 PM

4 replies

Jul 24, 2020 8:24 AM in response to deflumeri

How are you opening the downloaded photo?

You may check the Info for a downloaded photo, if the "Open with" is set to "Photos".

• Select a downloaded photo on your Desktop, then enter the key combination ⌘I to open the Info.
  • Then check the line "Open with". It should be set to Preview or some other app, but not to Photos.

After you change it to Preview or some other app, click "Change All" as well.

Jul 24, 2020 9:35 AM in response to léonie

Leonie, by messing around I found the beginning of the path you describe; i.e., "open with Preview app". That works. I don't see the option in your graphic that say "use to open all documents". I notice that it also says preview app is the default. I looked at preview preferences but did not see a way to make it a default. Can you get me thorough that next step. I have been having go to "open with" each time. Thanks

Pictures automatically going into Photos on MacBook Pro retina OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.