You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to identify legacy extensions

What are the legacy extensions on my system?

Which developers should I be contacting?

I have used a MacBook Pro since 2012 and a Mac mini of the same age. There are likely multiple extensions.

I am running Catalina 10.15.6 on the mini with a 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 CPU and 16 GB RAM, 1333 MHz DDR3. It has a 1 TB Solid State SATA Drive. It is quite speedy and fully meets my productivity requirements so I have no plans to update the hardware.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 6:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 2:10 AM

I'm not using Catalina yet so I can't say for certain but try this:

Click the icon in the menu bar. Click About This Mac and then click the button that says System Report

On the left side of the page look for a dropdown menu labeled Software. Then click Extensions.

If that doesn't work, try looking here: Get system information for your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2020 2:10 AM in response to hamptonkr

I'm not using Catalina yet so I can't say for certain but try this:

Click the icon in the menu bar. Click About This Mac and then click the button that says System Report

On the left side of the page look for a dropdown menu labeled Software. Then click Extensions.

If that doesn't work, try looking here: Get system information for your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 23, 2020 10:06 PM in response to Crackbot

Thanks, Crackbot. I generally use only Mac software. Just about the only non-Mac device is a Logitech Marble Trackball. So I suspect that is the only driver that will need updating. But I'm curious. In eight years I have little recollection of software I've installed and deleted. Is there a way to have Catalina actually report what is on my machine? Then I know which developers, companies, to query. It is not helpful to say I have legacy software without telling me which legacy software.

Jul 25, 2020 11:54 AM in response to hamptonkr

Concerning Apple’s comment regarding Legacy System Extensions, there is nothing we have to do or be worried about. What Apple is telling us is that when the next new operating system comes out (Big Sur), it will no longer allow those Legacy System Extensions which are part of other vendor’s apps. That means that any software vendors who have failed to update their offerings will be incompatible with the new OS. Those vendors have all been told what changes they will need to make to be compatible and I assume they are doing so. The bottom line is this. Before installing the next OS we need to visit our vendor web sites to verify that they have updated their offerings. If an important software has not been upgraded, then it might be a good idea to wait before installing Big Sur. At this time, it is expected that Big Sur is expected to be released late summer sometime. We will have to see how it all plays out. Normally, each vendor will state what Mac operating system's its software versions work with.

How to identify legacy extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.