You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the 2011 27' iMAC be used as external monitor?

Can I use my 2011 27 inch iMAC as an external monitor with my 2019 13 inch Macbook Pro?

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 11:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 12:00 AM

Yes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

"Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

With target display mode, you can use your iMac as an external display for another Mac.

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

All iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014: Use a Thunderbolt cable to connect your iMac to a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port on the other Mac. If the other Mac uses Thunderbolt 3, you can use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter with your cable."

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2020 12:00 AM in response to mark143may

Yes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

"Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

With target display mode, you can use your iMac as an external display for another Mac.

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

All iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014: Use a Thunderbolt cable to connect your iMac to a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port on the other Mac. If the other Mac uses Thunderbolt 3, you can use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter with your cable."

Can the 2011 27' iMAC be used as external monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.