You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find a deleted file.

Hi,

I am desperate to find a deleted file, I didn't set restore on my iMac so I can't go back in time.

can you help me please.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 5:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 7:43 AM

Unless you moved a file to the Trash on your Dock, but have not emptied the Trash, then the file is for all intents and purposed gone, and unrecoverable. There are file recover tools on the market that might be able to recover all or part of that file, if you used them immediately after it was deleted. Otherwise, not long afterwards, the operating system reuses that deleted file storage for another write operation, and recovery is impossible then.

I strongly recommend purchasing a large external drive, and commencing the use of Time Machine to backup your Mac.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2020 7:43 AM in response to mcziggy

Unless you moved a file to the Trash on your Dock, but have not emptied the Trash, then the file is for all intents and purposed gone, and unrecoverable. There are file recover tools on the market that might be able to recover all or part of that file, if you used them immediately after it was deleted. Otherwise, not long afterwards, the operating system reuses that deleted file storage for another write operation, and recovery is impossible then.

I strongly recommend purchasing a large external drive, and commencing the use of Time Machine to backup your Mac.

Find a deleted file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.