You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop and Documents files gone after Catalina update.

Hi everyone,

I couldn't find anyone with this problem anywhere else so I hope you can answer it.

After updating to mac os Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57), my desktop, documents and google drive files are gone. Applications are still there. I noticed that there is also no Desktop folder in my home folder. Also, my dock moved to the left, I recently moved it to the bottom so that seems strange.

I made a deeper system change with SwitchResX because my external display wasn't natively supported in mac os. The changed file appeared on my desktop in a folder called Relocated Items, it is however the only file in there.

I do have a recent time machine backup so I can go back to the older version of Catalina where are my files are still there. My question is: is there a way to update without these problems?

I do know my way around mac os, the terminal, recovery mode, etc. so I can handle it if it gets a bit technical. If you need any more information, feel free to ask. I'm on a macbook pro mid 2014, 13 inch base configuration.

Thanks in advance,

Jochem

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 8:34 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Desktop and Documents files gone after Catalina update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.