You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I moved mail from junk to my inbox and it just disappeared?? Nowhere to be found!

Even I have made a specific rule to a senders mail > that's supposed to move a mail to a selected box - an email from a known sender sometimes ends up in my junk mail box?

Well, that’s a problem.

An even larger problem is when I move the not “junk” email to my inbox it disappears from existence - and nowhere to be found. Today I pressed the “move to inbox” and I saw it in my inbox however shortly thereafter it just disappeared?

Yes - of course I have looked everywhere that I could think of. Perhaps someone have an idea when this mail is . . . now?

It’s like I never received the email?

Help!

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 1:21 AM

6 replies

Jul 27, 2020 6:34 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for your suggestion.

However I found one of my more important emails (that I remember).

I went to library > mail > and basically went through everything in my V7 folder. I found my lost mail in some junk folder? I did move the email to my inbox, so why it’s in a junk folder within my system somewhere not visible in my mail junk box folder (from where I have moved the “lost” email) — is absolutely very very strange!

I am not done looking through everything, but it seems that all my lost emails are here (V7 folder).

Hope this can be helpful to anyone else that has this problem!

Jul 27, 2020 7:48 AM in response to gothinkaboutthis

The display in Mail is not made by looking through your folders for messages.

As they are processed, messages are indexed into a database that manages what you see. That speeds up searching and display of the content of the messages.

The database has some fairly complex triggers that react to what you do with your email. They sometimes fail to update the database as they should.

Rebuilding the mailbox will search through all of the folders holding the raw messages and hopefully put them back in the database in their current locations.

Jul 27, 2020 8:07 AM in response to Barney-15E

Rebuilding my mailbox, I need to ensure I have something to rebuild from. Correct, otherwise it's all gone.

Regarding all my emails I have moved them, erased them etc.. i.e. I do not have back-up copy of any emails besides on an my external-harddrive(s).

So I am really not sure if I will be able to recover and as well have same mail set-up as I have now?

I moved mail from junk to my inbox and it just disappeared?? Nowhere to be found!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.