You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I search for the variety of photo/video files on my Mojave system to convert before upgrade to Catalina? They're not all FCP or iMovie.

There is a list of Catalina's 32-bit unsupported apps at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209000, but how can I search for all these types of files and convert them before the upgrade? They're not all FCP or iMovie files. e.g. How do you know if a photo is a JPG or a JPEG 2000? What about GoPro movie files?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 1:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 2:13 PM

That article isn't referring to 32 bit apps, it's referring to media files with formats that won't be compatible with Catalina.

If a photo is a jpg or jpeg its extension will be .jpg or .jpeg. If it's a JPEG-2000 the extension will be .jp2. That's easy to determine.

I don't use FCP so can't help much there. However, the article you linked to describes how to convert in FCP so give it a try. If you play a video in Quicktime Player and bring up the Movie Inspector window:

you can see what the format of the file is:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 27, 2020 2:13 PM in response to StumpedRedux

That article isn't referring to 32 bit apps, it's referring to media files with formats that won't be compatible with Catalina.

If a photo is a jpg or jpeg its extension will be .jpg or .jpeg. If it's a JPEG-2000 the extension will be .jp2. That's easy to determine.

I don't use FCP so can't help much there. However, the article you linked to describes how to convert in FCP so give it a try. If you play a video in Quicktime Player and bring up the Movie Inspector window:

you can see what the format of the file is:

How do I search for the variety of photo/video files on my Mojave system to convert before upgrade to Catalina? They're not all FCP or iMovie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.