You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring IPhone

How do i restore my IPhone and make sure I don't lose anything in the process of doing so.

iPhone XS

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 11:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 12:09 AM

First of all why do you want to restore?

How do you want to restore? From iCloud or iTunes?

How old is your backup?

If your backup date is D1 and the current date is D2. Then you will lose everything between D1 and D2 unless you take multiple backups for D1 and D2. By default iCloud and iTunes take only one backup per device. In other words, if you take a backup now then the D1 Backup will be overwritten by D2 backup.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2020 12:09 AM in response to zora12

First of all why do you want to restore?

How do you want to restore? From iCloud or iTunes?

How old is your backup?

If your backup date is D1 and the current date is D2. Then you will lose everything between D1 and D2 unless you take multiple backups for D1 and D2. By default iCloud and iTunes take only one backup per device. In other words, if you take a backup now then the D1 Backup will be overwritten by D2 backup.

Jul 28, 2020 12:10 AM in response to zora12

Restoring your iPhone will erase all of the data on your phone, and will reset the device back to factory settings. Make sure you complete a backup of your device either to iCloud, or to iTunes. You can find out more about backing up here:

How to backup your iPhone, iPad, and iPod:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203977

If you backup to iCloud, make 100% sure that you know your Apple ID and password as you will need both to log in and restore your backup.

If you backup to iTunes and choose to encrypt the backup, save the password somewhere safe and do not lose it. You will need this password to restore the backup to your phone, and there is no way to reset or retrieve the password if you forget or lose it.

Jul 28, 2020 1:00 AM in response to SravanKrA

I’m restoring because I think I may have a few bugs and was told by Apple support that the best way to fix this would be to restore my phone. I’m not really sure how I want to restore but I would assume it would be my I cloud. My last back up on my phone was 7/27/2020 at 9:40am to my cloud so I think I should be okay with my phone being backed up.

Restoring IPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.