You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I be sure my Photos are backed up on Time Machine before I delete any to clean space ?

My Time Machine is not able to open my Photos without this message that pops up ''These items cannot be added to your Photo Library because of the file format is not supported by Photo'' If I press OK at the bottom of this message then it opens the Photos folder.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 2:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 12:25 PM

Time Machine is meant to be an ongoing backup of your files with some time history, e.g. you can go back in time and recover files that were on your computer some time ago. However, over a long enough period, Time Machine will no longer show the oldest files that were backed up, they don't stay there forever because the backup disk does eventually fill up so the oldest files are then removed.

This means you should never use Time Machine to back up files and then delete them from the source and count on them always being available on the Time Machine backup. If that is your goal, it would be better to physically move your photos or Photos library/libraries from your main drive to an external drive. (that external drive should also be separately backed up)

The files inside the Time Machine folders are not just files, they are also links, so they should never be directly accessed and modified, e.g. trying to use them to load photos directly in Photos. This could change and even corrupt your Time Machine backups.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2020 12:25 PM in response to avraham291

Time Machine is meant to be an ongoing backup of your files with some time history, e.g. you can go back in time and recover files that were on your computer some time ago. However, over a long enough period, Time Machine will no longer show the oldest files that were backed up, they don't stay there forever because the backup disk does eventually fill up so the oldest files are then removed.

This means you should never use Time Machine to back up files and then delete them from the source and count on them always being available on the Time Machine backup. If that is your goal, it would be better to physically move your photos or Photos library/libraries from your main drive to an external drive. (that external drive should also be separately backed up)

The files inside the Time Machine folders are not just files, they are also links, so they should never be directly accessed and modified, e.g. trying to use them to load photos directly in Photos. This could change and even corrupt your Time Machine backups.

How can I be sure my Photos are backed up on Time Machine before I delete any to clean space ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.