You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac startup failure - hear startup sound, get apple logo, then shuts down after ~5 seconds

imac startup failure - hear startup sound, get apple logo, then shuts down after ~5 seconds

I've tried Command+R and other key combinations, no joy.

Advice?

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 8:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 1:47 PM

Here's how this got resolved. Had to use a USB keyboard because wireless was not responding. Fortunately, most important data was already in icloud - verified that first, so when target mode didn't work, went to reinstall the OS. First aid on MacOS base system had no effect. Reinstall of Catalina failed. No reason given but my speculation is a corrupted disk partition, only 17 GB of free space. Tried to reinstall Yosemite (original OS), that failed - no disk found. Ran disk utility, it reported that the 128 GB SSD was no longer fusion. So I erased the SSD. This time reinstall of Yosemite found the HDD and was successful. Reconnect of wireless keyboard also successful At that point I basically had the original machine in original condition, no data or apps other than the basic content (welcome to 2014!). HDD now shows 1 TB free. Downloaded Catalina, this time install successful. So after about 5 hours of effort, back in business. Not sure how much I trust the HDD in the machine, but otherwise it's still a nice computer, 21" display is perfect for current uses. Thought I was headed to the recycling center, glad that wasn't necessary.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 2, 2020 1:47 PM in response to BDAqua

Here's how this got resolved. Had to use a USB keyboard because wireless was not responding. Fortunately, most important data was already in icloud - verified that first, so when target mode didn't work, went to reinstall the OS. First aid on MacOS base system had no effect. Reinstall of Catalina failed. No reason given but my speculation is a corrupted disk partition, only 17 GB of free space. Tried to reinstall Yosemite (original OS), that failed - no disk found. Ran disk utility, it reported that the 128 GB SSD was no longer fusion. So I erased the SSD. This time reinstall of Yosemite found the HDD and was successful. Reconnect of wireless keyboard also successful At that point I basically had the original machine in original condition, no data or apps other than the basic content (welcome to 2014!). HDD now shows 1 TB free. Downloaded Catalina, this time install successful. So after about 5 hours of effort, back in business. Not sure how much I trust the HDD in the machine, but otherwise it's still a nice computer, 21" display is perfect for current uses. Thought I was headed to the recycling center, glad that wasn't necessary.

Jul 31, 2020 10:38 AM in response to Gary E L

Please attempt to restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Safe Mode Reset instructions. If it will not startup, then it is time to make an appointment at your local Apple Authorized Service Provider. From your description it sounds like a hardware issue, there isn't anything a forum can do to fix hardware for you though so your best bet is to contact an AASP to have it diagnosed and repaired.

Aug 1, 2020 1:30 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I also called Apple Tech support, suggestion was to try to try to recover data. I am able to put the iMac in Target disk mode, and connect another Mac via Thunderbolt 2 cable. Alas, the other Mac in disk utilities does not recognized the HDD in the iMac. Any last thoughts/tricks to try to get the HDD in the target iMac to be recognized?

(Hard to get to an AASP when most places are closed due to COVID).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.