You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continually asking for AppleID password when updating MacBook Air Apps

Just updated OS to 10.15.6. Get a note that Apple Apps (Notes, etc) have updates. Try to update, and get message to enter AppleID. I do, and get the message again and again. I know my AppleID password is valid, because I used it several times in the past few days. Even used it to update OS.

What is going on??

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 1:12 PM

10 replies

Aug 1, 2020 3:37 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks again, No luck.

The “Change Password for Keychain 'login.'” entry on the Edit pulldown in grey out.

I am a bit confused, The MacOS User password is what I use to un-lock my Mac, correct? I tried user p/w and tried my Apple ID password, neither worked. I changed the User p/w to my AppleID password, but no change.

Before last OS update, I had no problems. The OS update caused other password problems on another Macbook in the household. Is this a new bug?

Any help out there? This seems to be a problem only with App Story updates.

Aug 1, 2020 9:45 PM in response to BDAqua

Weird. I created a new ID, and switched user to it. The App store icon and the application does not say the apps (Apple notes, numbers) need updating.

Back to my user, it show that I have 4 apps that need updating. When I go to the Update screen, it continually asks for my AppleID password. I have used the password on several other places today, so it is good. Even changed password, didnt help. When back to original password nothing changed.

At this point, either I am missing something obvious, or there is a bug in the new OS update.

Thanks again for your assistance, If anyone has any other ideas, shoot away.

Continually asking for AppleID password when updating MacBook Air Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.