You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to downgrade to a anterior Catalina I have 10.15.6

Is there an easy way to do so, catalina and my adobe on previous version was working fine I did not think that this update version would mess it all, it was just a simple upgrade.

And I don't really look into reinstalling mojave or such, just undoing the last bit of upgrade can that?

Licence with Adobe cost a lot for individuals hobby, Apple should really network with Adobe to make this keeps working.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 2:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 10:24 AM

Yes! All you need to do is follow these general instructions posted above:

BobTheFisherman wrote:
If you want to revert to a previous operating system version follow these instructions: Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

In the following dialog from Step 4, you will be selecting "Macintosh HD" not— "Backup" as shown:

Select "Macintosh HD" assuming that is the name of your startup disk, then Continue. A list of local snapshots will appear. Look for the most recent one for version 10.15.5.

Local Snapshots are created periodically, and an additional one is created immediately prior to any macOS update.

I realize Apple does not make Local Snapshot availability obvious. The only reference to it is this passage from Step 4:

"Or select your startup disk (Macintosh HD), which might have a local snapshot you can restore from."

I'm still at a loss to understand the reason 10.15.6 is not working for you though which is why I'm questioning the need to do that.

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2020 10:24 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Yes! All you need to do is follow these general instructions posted above:

BobTheFisherman wrote:
If you want to revert to a previous operating system version follow these instructions: Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

In the following dialog from Step 4, you will be selecting "Macintosh HD" not— "Backup" as shown:

Select "Macintosh HD" assuming that is the name of your startup disk, then Continue. A list of local snapshots will appear. Look for the most recent one for version 10.15.5.

Local Snapshots are created periodically, and an additional one is created immediately prior to any macOS update.

I realize Apple does not make Local Snapshot availability obvious. The only reference to it is this passage from Step 4:

"Or select your startup disk (Macintosh HD), which might have a local snapshot you can restore from."

I'm still at a loss to understand the reason 10.15.6 is not working for you though which is why I'm questioning the need to do that.

Aug 1, 2020 8:09 AM in response to nataloran

WOW, you came here looking for help and were provided viable alternatives and possible solutions. You updated without considering the consequences of that action. That is not Adobe's, Apple's, or Terence's fault or responsibility.

I do have one more thing to add, if your apps worked with 10.15.5 then they will work with 10.15.6.

You have some other problem or you have provided us with incorrect information. If you want to revert to a previous operating system version follow these instructions: Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

But if you do not have a backup please know that that is not Apple's or anyone else's fault or responsibility.

Aug 1, 2020 11:08 AM in response to nataloran

👍

Glad to help.

I'm far from a graphics professional but there are a couple that serve my limited purposes: GIMP which is open source and free, and Graphic Converter which is on the App Store and is reasonably priced.

Inkscape is a vector graphics app but for some reason runs poorly in Catalina. It runs really well in High Sierra. I don't understand why but I do not use it very much either.

Preview is obviously useful for simple tasks.

If I can't do something with one of the above it's not worth doing 😃

I became averse to Adobe's business model a long time ago as well as Microsoft's, which is similar. I understand different people have different needs but neither one is worth the inconvenience or the expense for mine.

Aug 1, 2020 12:40 AM in response to Yer_Man

So useful Terence ! Thanks a lot... I paid my licence about 2000 euros sure I want to spend it again ^^

I contacted Adobe and I hope for a solution from them, their softwares needs to run on good computers, or they can switch my licence to a windows one then. But there is a trick between Apple and Adobe. I understand this is business of doing monthly fees stuff but back then I bought a full version, to keep it legal just for my fun/hobby. Now it would be quiet expensive to get a monthly subscription for all apps.

I see your comments are always a bit sarcastic and not really constructive but thanks having taking time to read this. Not sure your comment was helpful at any point :)

Aug 1, 2020 3:14 AM in response to nataloran

There is no trick between Apple and Adobe.

Apple announced in 2018 that 10.15 would not run 32 bit applications. Catalina was released almost a year ago. That's about 20 months for you to realise and understand the consequences of updating. Even the most cursory checks before updating would have flagged this issue for you. So don't blame Apple and don't blame Adobe. You updated without checking. That responsibility lies with you.

As for the amount you paid to Adobe, that's between you and them. If you want to run software indefinitely then never upgrade the OS. Simple.

Aug 1, 2020 4:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

You like to give lessons right, if you see my question was how to downgrade to Catalina 10.15.5 as Catalina was working before with my adobe.

However I don't blame companies to do business, I just asked a simple question. But you like to play morale role here and it is a bit irritating, you think that between a personal life/work life I have time to read all about Apple ? Like seriously? You think people are read all the time everything? Fact is first of all I am not English speaker, all my computer is in English when I look normally what would be affected I just found out it was an update for dark mode/security/and small things. Did I dig further, true I did not as Catalina and Adobe were working.

I neither blame one or the other as I made an issue with Adobe that if my licence cannot run to switch it to something usable as simple as that.

Do you expect people to buy monthly subscription for hobbies ? I don't, seems we don't put same value on money and what deserves what. Apple is expensive enough, Adobe the same.. I expect it to run, yeah right or I would not put legal stuff on my computer right ?

Get a bit humble with people and grow up, other people have a life that can be quiet busy !

Enjoy your day and thanks for the non helpful comments you brought here and there :)

Forgive about the "trick" word that I use unappropriately I should just type all in French next time maybe people would be bit less on moral lessons

Aug 1, 2020 10:04 AM in response to nataloran

And I don't really look into reinstalling mojave or such, just undoing the last bit of upgrade can that?

It's not clear to me what you want to accomplish. If you want to undo the recent macOS 10.15.6 update and restore the previous version 10.15.5 it's as simple as restoring the local snapshot created prior to installing that update. That takes about two minutes start to finish.

However, if the reason for doing that is to restore the ability to run legacy 32-bit software, then you will need to reinstall Mojave either from its Time Machine backup or by a complete erase / install procedure.

Catalina has no way of loading 32-bit applications so reverting to the previous macOS update will not help.

If your sole reason for wanting to revert macOS is to run Adobe consider using equivalent products, some of which are free. Adobe will always want you to pay for their latest bloatware. It's what they do.

Aug 1, 2020 10:08 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John,

Yes indeed I just need to downgrade to 10.15.5 while all I have for answers is to downgrade.

You mention : "f you want to undo the recent macOS 10.15.6 update and restore the previous version 10.15.5

it's as simple as restoring the local snapshot created prior to installing that update. That takes about two minutes start to finish."

I do not understand this at all (now I am not English mother tongue either maybe that's why. Can you let me know please ?

That's all I look for, thanks a lot

Aug 1, 2020 10:15 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi Bob,

All I wanted is to go back to 10.15.5 that's my question originally ! I am still interested in how to do so though :)

And no need to wow as I don't blame neither Adobe or Apple. For your info, by chatting to Adobe they did give me a solution, so I do consider they do the right things to keep their business up.

I am sorry you read me wrong on me blaming any of those two, I was just saying that both have a huge costs and that their marketing is not good at some stage. It's pure business.

Concerning Terence, did he explain me how to go back to 10.15.5 or was it more like giving moral lessons on someone he does not know about ?

You all tell me to go back to Mojave but that's not my question, I know how to do this actually, there are enough posts on that subject I did not need to open a new one :)

Cheers !

Aug 1, 2020 1:53 PM in response to John Galt

I do use Inkscape, mostly to transotm my image in svg then to het them in blender 3D.

I needed my PS today so I went to photopea.com, looks and feel like adobe, online ;) open psd files etc. Worth a look if you wish.

i use to do photography/3d gaming textures/now logo for 3d stamps (making soaps)

so Photoshop I am so used to it;) photopea is same way of working, I used that today. If that can help you;)

i have not use gimp since ages!

uou are totally right about all those going on suscription model, so indeed Microsoft and Adobe.

Adobe agreed to change my licence of creative Suite to a Microsoft one though, so that’s not totally lost;)

Thanks anyway!

I would like to downgrade to a anterior Catalina I have 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.