You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi is no longer available to select: "Self-Assigned IP address will not be able to connect to internet". Why?

Looking under the WiFi icon at the top right of the screen, the name of my home network no longer appears.

Same for System Preferences / Internet / WiFi / Network Name.

If I select Joint Other Network and enter my home network name, security, and password, it says Network could not be found.

When I click on the Advanced button, under the WiFi tab my network name appears, the security is listed, and the Auto-Join box is checked.

This scenario is identical for all of my devices: Laptops, desktop, phones, and iPads

My service provider checked my modem/router remotely and said all is working as it should. I believe them because the computer I am typing on now is directly connected to it via an Ethernet cable and I am having no issues connecting to the internet.

Of course I have tried power cycling the computer I always use for system set up and maintenance (three times).

Of course I tried turning the WiFi off, then back on in the WiFi preferences window.

I also tried deleting my home network name from the list of available networks under the WiFi tab and adding it again.

his did not work.

My home network name still does not appear as an available network.

What do I need to do to make my home network name, which does appear in the Preferences / Internet / Wi-Fi / Advanced / Wi-Fi tab "Preferred Networks" window, become a selectable Network under the Preferences / Wi-Fi / Network Name selector field?

Currently the Wi-Fi "Location" is set to "Automatic" (there are no other locations listed).

The Wi-Fi tab in the Preferences / Network window is Yellow (I assume it should be green).

Immediately below Wi-Fi it says "Self-Assigned IP".

I don't know if this should be that way or not.

I don't know how to change it, or what I would change it to.

"Status" says ON

Immediately below "Status" it says "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address [numbers] and will not be able to connect to the internet.

Why?

What should my IP address be?

Where would I change it?

My home network has been working just fine for a very long time (a couple of years at least).

Why would my IP address have changed?

Is my self-assigned IP address actually correct and some other setting is not set correctly?

I did not change my IP address.

Do I need to get a new one from my service provider AT&T?

Thank you for your help.

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 7:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 9:45 PM

Your idea is a good one. Unfortunately, I had already tried your solution, twice. No luck.

However, I did finally discover the issue. Somehow my router, for no known reason, reverted back to its factory default name and password. That's why the name I had assigned it did not show in the list of available networks. It was probably showing, but under a non-comprehensible factory default name (with a non-comprehensible password). That's why AT&T "auto-bots" kept saying my WiFi was working fine, and my router was working properly, and why Apple kept telling me something must be wrong with my router.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2020 9:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Your idea is a good one. Unfortunately, I had already tried your solution, twice. No luck.

However, I did finally discover the issue. Somehow my router, for no known reason, reverted back to its factory default name and password. That's why the name I had assigned it did not show in the list of available networks. It was probably showing, but under a non-comprehensible factory default name (with a non-comprehensible password). That's why AT&T "auto-bots" kept saying my WiFi was working fine, and my router was working properly, and why Apple kept telling me something must be wrong with my router.

Aug 1, 2020 7:12 PM in response to Klytle

<<Immediately below Wi-Fi it says "Self-Assigned IP".

I don't know if this should be that way or not.>>

You always self-assign an IP address when your device wakes up, so that it can be uniquely identified. But most Users would swear this NEVER happens, because in an instant you contact the Router, and it gives you a "good" Local IP address that is usable.

Not making this transition says you are unable to communicate with your Router.

Typically when users complain about not being able to reach their Router, Keychain has somehow managed to save a bad Wi-Fi password. But deleting your network-name and re-adding it back in should re-request the password and allow it to be updated.

WiFi is no longer available to select: "Self-Assigned IP address will not be able to connect to internet". Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.