You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Mail" Preference Pane will not open in MAC OS Catalina 10.15.6

My Apple Mail seems to work normal... however I cannot open the "Preference Pane". When I try it makes Apple Mail freeze and stop working. I have to hit Command, Option, Delete... to try again to open mail

Trent's 27" IMac

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 10:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 10:46 AM

If this were happening to me I would try the following.

Launch Mail while pressing the shift key. Then test.

Try starting up in Safe Mode. Then test while in safe mode and then after a normal startup.

If the problem is persisting in Safe Mode, try quitting mail, then moving the Mail Preferences files to the Desktop, then restart Mail and test. I would start with com.apple.mail-shared.plist and com.apple.mail.plist in your USER Library Preferences folder. To get there, paste this in to the Finder>Go>Go to folder... dialog box:

~/Library/Preferences

(Note the tilde.)

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2020 10:46 AM in response to TrentYoung

If this were happening to me I would try the following.

Launch Mail while pressing the shift key. Then test.

Try starting up in Safe Mode. Then test while in safe mode and then after a normal startup.

If the problem is persisting in Safe Mode, try quitting mail, then moving the Mail Preferences files to the Desktop, then restart Mail and test. I would start with com.apple.mail-shared.plist and com.apple.mail.plist in your USER Library Preferences folder. To get there, paste this in to the Finder>Go>Go to folder... dialog box:

~/Library/Preferences

(Note the tilde.)

"Mail" Preference Pane will not open in MAC OS Catalina 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.