You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restoring from Time Machine to a new Mac

I know it’s best to use Setup Assistant to migrate/transfer to a new Mac, but what happens if you restore directly from Time Machine to the new Mac instead? I.e., if you just restore your default user folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc.) to the new Mac by saying “Browse other backup disks” in Time Machine?

Would the folders not be seen as the default user folders and so the Mac would then create new ones? If so, would that overwrite the folders you’d transferred?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 3:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 3:41 PM

Both Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant can use a Time Machine backup to restore your data to a Mac.

Ref: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

On the other hand, you can use the Time Machine interface to restore selective data from any previous backup of that device, or from another one. However, it's best to use Migration Assistant for this as it was what it was designed to do.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 5, 2020 3:41 PM in response to DonnaR

Both Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant can use a Time Machine backup to restore your data to a Mac.

Ref: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

On the other hand, you can use the Time Machine interface to restore selective data from any previous backup of that device, or from another one. However, it's best to use Migration Assistant for this as it was what it was designed to do.

Aug 5, 2020 4:28 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you, Tesserax!

I asked because I was concerned because someone did just that. Would the new Mac (maybe next time it restarts or when the OS is updated?) not see the restored folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc.) as the special default folders, create new default folders, and potentially replace the Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc. that were transferred?

Thanks again!

Aug 5, 2020 4:32 PM in response to DonnaR

In my experience, I've never seen this happen. That is, if I restore from a Time Machine backup, I have never encountered a situation where the recently restored folders or files were overwritten after a re-boot of the machine. However, anything is possible, but it would help to know more details surrounding what happened if this is the case.

Aug 5, 2020 5:38 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi again,

No, I was just wondering if it would happen since they restored the default user folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc.) and I was concerned because those are special folders that shouldn't be replaced by non-default folders with the same name. I didn't know what would happen, if the Mac would create replacement default folders, etc.

restoring from Time Machine to a new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.