You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help! I think my old mac is too old and I do not know how to transfer my information to my new mac. Can you help?

How can I set up my Macbook Pro 2009 to transfer to my new Macbook Air 2020?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 3:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 3:57 PM

Take a look at the following article to see how to transfer your data between Macs.

7 replies

Aug 6, 2020 4:06 PM in response to Jurbp420

So, it's always helpful in posts to tell us which steps you have taken already. If you have looked at a Support article and tried one or more of the steps to transfer data to your new MacBook Air., Which one(s) did you try and what happened, i.e., where did the process go wrong for you. It's definitely not the software and you definitely can transfer your 2009 MacBook Pro to your 2020 MacBook Air, assuming they are both working correctly otherwise. It's just a question of selecting a method as outlines int he article and, possibly depending on the method chose, getting the right adapter (if you use a cabled method).

Aug 6, 2020 5:25 PM in response to Jurbp420

Ok, what you are seeing is what happens when you go into the Time Machine interface. Each of those windows represents a point in time where Time Machine backed up the data. The key is to know when was the last backup performed so that you will have the very latest data that is on this notebook. Regardless, when you run the Migration Assistant on your new notebook, then select Time Machine as the source, it should present you with the option to choose a backup. Of course, you want to pick the very latest one. Per chance that backup is not very new, you may want to run a backup to get the latest data before you migrate it.

I need help! I think my old mac is too old and I do not know how to transfer my information to my new mac. Can you help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.