You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microsoft office

I just updated to OS Catalina, but my Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) won't let me access my existing files with full editing access--read-only--unless I enter an annual subscription program. What?

Catalina does not retro-support previous versions of some software, including the Office suite.

So..I wanted to back down my upgrades to Mojave, but first needed to reinstall my original OS X Mountain Lion, which now is giving me problems. I'm stuck at a dead end when it asks me to indicate where Mountain Lion should start up from.

So..I'm operating on Catalina, but this Office suite access thing is a problem....any solutions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 5:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 5:45 PM

Office 2019 and Office 365 are 64 bit and work with Catalina.

If you want to revert to a previous MacOS version follow these instructions: Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

I would upgrade Office rather than revert to an older OS.

2 replies

microsoft office

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.