You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When opening emails on my iPad, they are not being marked as read

Recently got a new iPad and for some reason when I’m opening my emails they aren’t marking as read When I have read them, I have to do this manually for some reason, anyone else having this issue?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 2:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 2:43 AM

This is an issue sometimes seen within this Support Community - and is one that I have experienced myself on a couple of occasions.

The resolution is relatively straightforward - requiring that your initially force-close the Mail App - then force-restart your iPad. Before doing so, if you have not already done so, ensure that you have updated your iPad to iPadOS 13.6 - as this may itself clear the issue:

Settings > General > Software Update

To force-close your Mail App, you’ll need to summon the Task Switcher; swipe-upwards from the bottom edge of the screen, pausing briefly before lifting your finger from the screen (if you have an iPad with a physical Home button, a double click will also summon the Task Switcher). Identify the Mail App among the open Apps - and simple swipe the App off the top of the screen.

Having now force-closed the Mail App, you can now force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Hopefully this will have resolved your issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2020 2:43 AM in response to RickyG210

This is an issue sometimes seen within this Support Community - and is one that I have experienced myself on a couple of occasions.

The resolution is relatively straightforward - requiring that your initially force-close the Mail App - then force-restart your iPad. Before doing so, if you have not already done so, ensure that you have updated your iPad to iPadOS 13.6 - as this may itself clear the issue:

Settings > General > Software Update

To force-close your Mail App, you’ll need to summon the Task Switcher; swipe-upwards from the bottom edge of the screen, pausing briefly before lifting your finger from the screen (if you have an iPad with a physical Home button, a double click will also summon the Task Switcher). Identify the Mail App among the open Apps - and simple swipe the App off the top of the screen.

Having now force-closed the Mail App, you can now force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Hopefully this will have resolved your issue.

When opening emails on my iPad, they are not being marked as read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.