You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Safari Favorite icon in MacOS Catalina

Firstly added Google into Favorite in Safari, and its icon was a G in a grey square. Then I tried many ways and the icon somehow turned into the way I want. Anyway, I thus assume these icons are changeable. However, I accidently deleted iCloud, so I added it in Favorite again, but I cannot change its icon now.

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 10:56 AM

5 replies

Aug 11, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Cloudzio

Hi Cloudzio,

It appears the icon for the iCloud website in Safari's favorites bookmarks shows up greyed out and without the iCloud symbol or icon. We can steer you in the right direction. Unfortunately, the icons are pulled from the specific link that you add as the bookmark. We'd first ensure the iCloud link is the one directly for signing in: Sign in to iCloud

You may need to revisit the website for the icon to show up. If that doesn't solve the icon concern, then we'd also check if opening up the Safari menu > Preferences > Tabs > Show website icons in tabs to see if it is enabled. Once enabled you can test it out further.

See your favorite websites in Safari on Mac would have the only other suggestions for this type of issue.

Wishing you the best!

Aug 30, 2020 10:51 AM in response to Cloudzio

Hi Cloudzio,

Understood. You may want to clear out those saved favorites from your user application cache. Before you begin, make sure you've got a good backup of your data: How to back up your Mac

Then you'll want to quit Safari, open up the Finder and select on the Go menu > Go to Folder. Type in this exactly without any additional spaces: ~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache/

Once loaded, you should see a folder named 'favicons' and documents, select all and move them to the trash. After that, restart your Mac: How to turn your Mac on or off This will likely remove all of the favorite icons, but they will reload and when they do, they should be correctly displayed.

If you continue to have issues, we'd Contact Apple Support

Take care!

Aug 28, 2020 8:34 PM in response to mario49

Hi Mario49,

I followed your instruction and get into bookmark editor, the link is correct as showing below:

I have been watching this icon lately. I noticed sometimes it turns into a darker Apple icon, but sometimes it turns back to an "I" in a square, especially after clearing the browsing history. I think it's kinda like a loading problem, but my network speed should not have problem to load the icon.

In addition, some websites in Favorite never get their own icons. I wonder if I could edit manually.

Aug 13, 2020 2:41 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. However, I actually tried these methods before I came here for help, unfortunately, they don't really work.

If you go to iCloud.com, it automatically ask you to sign in Apple ID with your password, right? I tried add the page into Favorites after click cancel, and I tried to add it after signing in as well. The icon still shows like the picture I posted.

Aug 13, 2020 8:24 AM in response to Cloudzio

Hey Cloudzio,

You're welcome for the reply! It sounds like those suggestions weren't helpful and you still see a greyed-out icon for the iCloud website. Allow us to assist further.

To confirm, when you open the Bookmarks menu in Safari and go to 'Edit Bookmarks' it should open the bookmark editor. Open the Favorites folder here to display all of those saved favorite bookmark links and locate the one for iCloud. Here, does it say "https://www.icloud.com/" or another link? In case it doesn't, if you click twice inside of the link, it should allow you to enter in this link to correct it.

Hope it helps!

How to change Safari Favorite icon in MacOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.