You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many devices can I install purchased apps on ?

At the beginning of the year I bought and iPad Pro for medical school. I recently bought an iPad Air for my brother for his school and am wondering if I can install the study apps I bought for myself on his new iPad or if we have to buy them again. His new iPad will be here next week, right after his classes have already started so we need to set it up for him quickly

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 5:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 7:17 PM

All apps are tied to the Apple ID used to purchase them.

You do not want to share your Apple ID with anyone, it leads to headaches and sharing messages.

Read about family sharing here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088

It is the best way to share apps that allow it.

4 replies

Aug 9, 2020 7:32 PM in response to BellaKara

You will also need to check licensing requirements - some app developers only allow their app to be installed on one device.

And, also best check the rules of Family Sharing as well - here is an excerpt (there is a lot more to that):

Family Sharing Rules: You can only belong to one Family at a time, and may join any Family no more than twice per year. You can change the Apple ID you associate with a Family no more than once every 90 days. All Family members must share the same Home Country. Not all Content, including In-App Purchases, subscriptions, and some previously acquired Apps, are eligible for Purchase Sharing. Apple Arcade and Apple News+ subscriptions are automatically enabled for Purchase Sharing. Subscriptions shared by a Family may be subject to Content usage

limitations on a per subscription basis.

From here (US terms):

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html

How many devices can I install purchased apps on ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.