You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello. I cannot search my external hard drive.

I have a new MacBook Pro with Catalina. The hard drive is mounted. But I cannot search it. Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 9:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 8:31 PM

In case anyone comes across this post. The problem seems to have been the way the external disk was formatted. The external disk was formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I spoke to two Apple Geniuses. No one could explain why this is a problem. But I have reformatted the disk and copied everything back on to it. So far it is working well.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2020 8:31 PM in response to Stickrust

In case anyone comes across this post. The problem seems to have been the way the external disk was formatted. The external disk was formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I spoke to two Apple Geniuses. No one could explain why this is a problem. But I have reformatted the disk and copied everything back on to it. So far it is working well.

Aug 11, 2020 11:40 AM in response to rylandgoldman

The two result in slightly different things.

1. If I click the text "Diane" next to "This Mac" and enter a search term = Literally nothing happens. It just sits there.
  2. If I click the location in the side bar and enter a search term = it returns search from the Albert's MacBook Pro hard drive. The "Albert's MacBook Pro" icon is then highlighted.

There are a bunch of places on the web saying to go to System Preferences > Spotlight, mark the drive [-] to unSpotlight it and then delete that [-] to force Spotlight to reindex the external drive. It does not do this.

I should add, the external drive is formatted so that it could be a startup disk. But, I do not believe that should be an issue?

Hello. I cannot search my external hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.