You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro 16" Overheating without any load

Hi,

So I just got my new MacBook Pro 16" yesterday. I haven't really downloaded any apps yet. But, while browsing and watching YouTube, I noticed the front part (above the Touch Bar area) of the MacBook gets pretty hot. I'm not sure why this is occurring as I am not putting running any resource-demanding applications. And since this is a MacBook designed to run powerful apps, I'm wondering why it seems to overheat so much with just light browsing and entertainment.

Also, I noticed, I couldn't hear the fans running. They might be running very slow or not even running at all. According to my knowledge, the fans should boost up when the laptop overheats, but this is not the case here.

Please advise on any solutions that could help!

Thank you

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 6:38 AM

3 replies

Aug 13, 2020 6:57 AM in response to parth12

What do you mean by overheating? A Mac notebook is a lot of processing power in a small, thin package and processing generates heat. Expect your Mac to get very warm/hot just above the keyboard/tough bar (that's where the CPU/GPU are) and on the bottom (Apple calls these notebooks not laptops for a reason). The Mac will regulate it's temperatures with fans, and it will throttle back the CPU/GPU if needed, so as long as you are keeping your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures, it will perform properly. The keyboard and palm rests should remain comfortable to touch, and if they don't then contact Apple for service.

The fans spin at a base speed of 1,500 to 2,000 rpm and at those speeds you won't hear them. Under higher loads the temperatures go up and the fans can run up to 6,000 rpm – you'll hear them when they speed up. Incidentally, streaming video uses a fair amount of processing power, particularly if you are using Chrome as your browser.

FWIW, the CPU/GPU of my 16" MBP are normally at around 40 °C, and those chips sit right under the area above the Touch Bar (the case there isn't that hot, but the chips under it are and a lot of that heat goes up through the aluminum case). Under heavy processing loads the processors can go to 70-80 °C or higher (even up to 100 °C, although above that the Mac will throttle back the processors to reduce the temp).

Aug 13, 2020 7:02 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that the Macs use lots of processing power within a small package.

On the Apple website, it says to use the MacBook in a place where the ambient temperature is between 50° and 95° F (10° and 35° C). This is the room or surrounding temperature though. What is the acceptable temperature that the MacBook should be in?

I installed a third-party application to check the temps of my Mac, and have noticed it hovering around 50° C when not using it at all. When I start browsing or watching videos, it starts to overheat, it goes up to 75° C. Is that normal? or is it just my MacBook. Just want to make sure as I don't want it to malfunction after a few months/a year just because of heat.

Also, I have been using Safari as my browser for now and not Chrome.

Thank you

Aug 13, 2020 7:14 AM in response to parth12

Apple doesn't publish 'normal' internal temperatures. But 70-80 °C is a perfectly normal operating temperature for a CPU or GPU. The bottom line is that your Mac will protect itself, increasing fan speed when the chips reach higher temperatures, throttling back the processors if the fans can't keep them cool enough, and if need be shutting itself off. So, as long as you are using it in a room temp of 50-95 °F, it can maintain it's internal temps appropriately.

The area above the Touch Bar is going to get pretty warm, that's normal.

New MacBook Pro 16" Overheating without any load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.