You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

InstantEffect / VSDViewerVSDConverter

I could use some advice / suggestions on how to get rid of a pop-up on my MacBook that says ...

"InstantEffect will damage your computer You should move it to the Trash. There's a click box for: Report malware to Apple to protect other users. The click options provided are "Move to Trash" and "Cancel".

It is obviously a "malware" that I could get rid of, after cleaning out Advance Mac-Cleaner / amc related plists, in folders: Applications, Library, LaunchAgents, LaunchDaemons, System Preferences, Force Quitting Safari, holding down Shift in starting Safari, Emptying Trash, Rebooting, etc. My system preferences only allow downloads from "good" sites.

I did not want to click on "Move to Trash" button, assuming that it will start something else. When I click on Cancel, the same pop-up message appears showing "VSDViewer/VSDConverter" will damage your computer.... etc.

I haven't figured out which app is running this in my Activity Monitor. or where this originates from (so I won't catch this "bug" again. I thought I've always been careful about clicking on links, etc. Guess I'm just not careful enough ... :-)

Where else should I look, to clean out this pop-up ?

Thank you for your assistance and advice.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 5:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 7:05 PM

If it is truly adware, Malwarebytes will identify and remove it. Get Malwarebytes only from the developer's site. The deveoper is a valued contributor here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Similar questions

2 replies

InstantEffect / VSDViewerVSDConverter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.