You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder file naming convention changed...

On or about August 10, the file naming convention for my files changed. Specifically, the 24 hour format I had been using changed to 12 hour using AM and PM. Not my preferred time hack.

I still have the 24 hour clock invoked under System Preferences>Date & Time and that is working normally.

How do I changed file saving format back to include the 24 hour format?

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 6:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 6:24 AM

Try System Preferences : Language & Region : Time format [√] 24-Hour Time to restore this time format to your screen shots. It works for me on Catalina with the side effect of changing the menu bar date/time to 24-hour format too. You cannot have one without the other.

4 replies

Aug 18, 2020 11:54 AM in response to Low Country Man

I found something that might work for you here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/353015

It worked for me on 10.15.5 and I do not have 24-Hour-Time selected.

In Language & Region go to Advanced > Times and change the hour dropdown in Medium from 1-12 to 0-23. You can also remove the AM/PM and change the colons to dashes, spaces or whatever you like.

My new naming convention is Screen Shot yyyy-mm-dd at hour-min-sec (e.g., Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 14-45-11.png).

Finder file naming convention changed...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.