You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to unlock my apple iPad received as gift

Received an iPad from someone who got themselves locked out (after buying it brand new) and just gave up, and bought a new device. She gave to me since it was useless to her and I was able to restore the system (via iTunes) to get by locked screen, but iPad now requesting original "b****@icloud.com" account. Original owner is a senior citizen and confused about these credentials. I do have a valid Apple ID and have requested she try to find this info, but it may be hopeless. Can you advise?

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 8:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 8:36 AM

You CANNOT unlock the iPad. Only the person who set up the iPad originally can unlock it. Give it back to them. It's useless to you. Apple won't help you and we can't help you.

Activation Lock is an Anti-Theft mechanism which can ONLY be turned off with the proper credentials.

If they have the original purchase receipt with the iPad serial number, they can request assistance from Apple. If they don't and they can't anywhere with this link the iPad us useless --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2020 8:36 AM in response to webrep

You CANNOT unlock the iPad. Only the person who set up the iPad originally can unlock it. Give it back to them. It's useless to you. Apple won't help you and we can't help you.

Activation Lock is an Anti-Theft mechanism which can ONLY be turned off with the proper credentials.

If they have the original purchase receipt with the iPad serial number, they can request assistance from Apple. If they don't and they can't anywhere with this link the iPad us useless --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support

Aug 16, 2020 8:44 AM in response to webrep

I hear what you're saying, but long ago, it was super easy to steal an iOS device, wipe and the thief got full access. Apple takes personal security VERY seriously and Activation Lock is one of the better things they've ever introduced.

It's up to the user to know simple details, such as their own Passcode, Apple ID and Apple ID Password. These are important pieces of information. It boggles my brain that people don't jot important pieces of information down somewhere for safe keeping, but most people don't.

There are ways to get into the device with the link I provided. But none of them are options you can do anything with. The previous owner will need to do what is required.

need to unlock my apple iPad received as gift

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.