You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sidecar no Longer Working

Hello,

I am currently having problems connecting my MacBook Pro (2019) to my iPad (2017) via sidecar. The same "Device Timed Out" message appears over and over again. I've searched through forums and nothing helped me solve this problem. I tried reseting the wi-fi connection, bluetooth connection, etc, but to no avail.

I'm not sure which update was, but in the second half of last year I was able to connect almost instantly and with no problem, now with the updates (These are de versions I have now: Macbook - Catalina 10.15.6, IpadOS 13.6) I can't connect properly. So I'm thinking maybe these updates are the reason for this problem.

Anyone has a tip I could try? Or am I overseeing something?

Thank you for your help!

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 1:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 1:16 PM

Hey rafael,

Glad to hear it's working with the wired connection. The next step would be to reset user permissions on the Mac.

Change permissions for files, folders or disks on Mac

Then check to see if the same thing happens in a test user account setting it up with the same Apple ID account.

From there, we'll know where to further guide you.

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2020 1:16 PM in response to rafaelahaiabe

Hey rafael,

Glad to hear it's working with the wired connection. The next step would be to reset user permissions on the Mac.

Change permissions for files, folders or disks on Mac

Then check to see if the same thing happens in a test user account setting it up with the same Apple ID account.

From there, we'll know where to further guide you.

Take care!

Aug 17, 2020 12:46 PM in response to rafaelahaiabe

Hello,

Great job with the troubleshooting you've done so far. It sounds like you're trying to get Sidecar working again between your iPad and MacBook Pro. We're happy to suggest some tips, and recommend you test the feature after each step.

To begin, updating the iPad once more is recommended--13.6.1. Restart both devices, double check the same ID remains signed in to Settings > [your name], and use the same Wi-Fi network. Follow the steps in the article below to toggle Handoff on each device:

Use Handoff to continue a task on your other devices

Test Sidecar with both a wired and wireless connection to the network, if possible.

Let us know if you're still running into the same trouble. We have some additional help we can provide.

Talk with you soon!

Sidecar no Longer Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.