You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina 10.15.6 airdrop is not working

I just recently got the Macbook Pro 2020 and updated the software to macOS Catalina 10.15.6, and airdrop is not working. When I try to airdrop something from my iphone to my mac, my phone can detect my macbook, but it keeps showing "waiting" under the macbook icon. So I opened my airdrop on my macbook to check what was wrong, and I saw that it changed to ''allow me to be discovered by: no one'' by itself, even though I've always had it as "contacts only." Every time I change it back to contacts only and I exit finder, it automatically goes back to "no one."

I also don't have firewall on, and I tried airdropping on safe mode as well and it still didn't work. I hope someone can help me, thank you :)

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 7:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 1:35 PM

Hi armyzen,

We understand you're unable to change the "Allow me to be discovered by" option in your AirDrop settings. If you open AirDrop, and change it to everyone so another device can find your computer, it just switches to "No One" when you try to save the discovery mode. We'd be happy to help.

We'd first recommend turning toggling the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the computer to see if that allows you to change the discovery settings. Just navigate to System Preferences > Network, and System Preferences > Bluetooth to turn those connections off. Wait a few seconds then turn them back on. After that, go back in to your AirDrop settings and see if it will allow you to change your discovery settings.

If it still will not allow you to save the setting, you can next test another user account on your computer. This will help to isolate if its just an account based issue, or something system-wide. You can find the steps to add a new user account to the computer here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Once you have another user account added, switch over to that account then test out the AirDrop settings there and see if it allows you to change and save the discovery settings or not.

We hope this helps. Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2020 1:35 PM in response to armyzen

Hi armyzen,

We understand you're unable to change the "Allow me to be discovered by" option in your AirDrop settings. If you open AirDrop, and change it to everyone so another device can find your computer, it just switches to "No One" when you try to save the discovery mode. We'd be happy to help.

We'd first recommend turning toggling the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the computer to see if that allows you to change the discovery settings. Just navigate to System Preferences > Network, and System Preferences > Bluetooth to turn those connections off. Wait a few seconds then turn them back on. After that, go back in to your AirDrop settings and see if it will allow you to change your discovery settings.

If it still will not allow you to save the setting, you can next test another user account on your computer. This will help to isolate if its just an account based issue, or something system-wide. You can find the steps to add a new user account to the computer here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Once you have another user account added, switch over to that account then test out the AirDrop settings there and see if it allows you to change and save the discovery settings or not.

We hope this helps. Cheers!

macOS Catalina 10.15.6 airdrop is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.