You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring photos from iPhone to external hard drive

Hello all,

I have photos on my iPhone that I want to transfer to an external drive. I know I’ll have to go through my MacBook for this, but is there an easier way to accomplish this other than importing, exporting, and deleting the pictures from the photo app?

Thank you,

Zoebe4

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 4:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 4:58 PM

Macs come with an app called Image Capture that can also be used to move photos from an iPhone to any folder on your computer including one on an external drive. This would be exclusive of using the Mac Photos app, however. You plug in your phone while Image Capture is running and then you can drag photos out to a folder or use the app to point to a folder and transfer the photos to it. There is also an option to delete the files you copy from your phone, if you so choose.

If you do decide to use Mac Photos, you can just plug in your phone while Photos is running and it will show up in the sidebar to allow you to import the photos into the Photo Library. From there you can export them to a folder on an external drive if you need to.

You might also consider using iCloud Photos which automatically syncs photos between your devices so you don't even have to connect your phone to your Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2020 4:58 PM in response to Zoebe4

Macs come with an app called Image Capture that can also be used to move photos from an iPhone to any folder on your computer including one on an external drive. This would be exclusive of using the Mac Photos app, however. You plug in your phone while Image Capture is running and then you can drag photos out to a folder or use the app to point to a folder and transfer the photos to it. There is also an option to delete the files you copy from your phone, if you so choose.

If you do decide to use Mac Photos, you can just plug in your phone while Photos is running and it will show up in the sidebar to allow you to import the photos into the Photo Library. From there you can export them to a folder on an external drive if you need to.

You might also consider using iCloud Photos which automatically syncs photos between your devices so you don't even have to connect your phone to your Mac.

Transferring photos from iPhone to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.