You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macos 10.15.6 breaks Time Machine backups

I recently installed the macos catalina 10.15.6 update on my iMac. Since then, Time Machine cannot backup to my NAS, and produces the error "Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from."

I also tried adding a new local drive thinking it may be a Time Machine issue backing up to NAS. When attempting a backup to the new local hard drive, Time Machine produces the same error, "Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from."

Plenty of free space on my Mac hard drive, and even tried the sudo tmutil listlocalsnapshots / and then sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots and then tried running Time Machine backup again and still same error.

I contacted Apple Support and they said they are aware of the issue and it's been reported by numerous users. So in the interim, I have no way to perform a Time Machine backup while Apple figures out the fix.

I also have a MacBook Pro with macos mojave 10.14.6 and Time Machine backups are not an issue and work fine.

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 7:43 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 20, 2020 7:26 AM in response to DavidWWE

DavidWWE,

Apple is supposedly working on a fix. You can restore your mac prior to the 10.15.6 update by booting to a flash drive and restoring from time machine, but then you'll lose any data saved on your mac since then. Mine was 3 weeks ago, so not worth it to me to lose everything I've saved since then. Granted, I could probably figure out which important documents, etc. have been modified/saved by a search and date modified with a simple search, but I'd rather wait for a solution from Apple. Hopefully that comes soon in the next macOS update.

macos 10.15.6 breaks Time Machine backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.