You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2020 and Thunderbolt / USB C to Display port and Dell displays will not wake up

Hi there

I have a Mac Mini 2020 and 2 Dell P2419H displays connected via USB C / Thunderbolt cable to display-port on the displays.

I'm actually running them into a dual display KVM with a PC on the other port.

When I switch back and for the Mac Mini displays will not wake up.

I can rip out the usb C plugs and put them back and the displays wake up

I've done a really clumsy workaround:

I made one of the Hot Corners 'Sleep Display' so when the displays go to sleep I can roll the mouse to the hot corner (in the dark) and eventually the displays wake up. This is not ideal as this is supposed to be a publicly useable computer terminal.

Any tips for making the displays wake up or not sleep?

(i know this issue exists on older posts but as this is a brand new mac i thought best to revive it)

Thanks

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 4:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 7:03 AM

Connect the 2 Dell's to the Mac Mini (no KVM, no PC) and test to see if the displays sleep/wake properly.

see > Connect multiple displays to your Mac mini (2018) - Apple Support

Connect one computer to the Dell's DisplayPort ports, one computer the the Dell's HDMI ports and test to see if the displays sleep/wake properly.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2020 7:03 AM in response to vahakn1

Connect the 2 Dell's to the Mac Mini (no KVM, no PC) and test to see if the displays sleep/wake properly.

see > Connect multiple displays to your Mac mini (2018) - Apple Support

Connect one computer to the Dell's DisplayPort ports, one computer the the Dell's HDMI ports and test to see if the displays sleep/wake properly.

Aug 21, 2020 8:35 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you I can do this - and I will try - but what exactly am I testing for?

I totally understand the concept of process of elimination - but the fact is, I need it to work with the current setup: usb-c > display port into the KVM - that is my only option.

This is because I need 2 displays - and a different KVM with the same spec but with HDMI does not exist.

thanks for helping me debug this

Aug 21, 2020 9:00 AM in response to vahakn1

Test to see it the Mac Mini wakes the displays properly using different setup configurations.

Why can't you just use 1 display for the Mac Mini and 1 display for the PC.

What about using 4 displays, 2 for Mac Mini and 2 for the PC.

You may never get that setup to work using a KVM switch, because the Mac Mini is losing the connection with the displays.

Mac Mini 2020 and Thunderbolt / USB C to Display port and Dell displays will not wake up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.