You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Recording

How long of a screen recording can I make on my iMac? 10 mins? 20 mins?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 5:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 5:56 AM

I don't know there is a limit other than the amount of free space on your drive. You could create a short recording, see how much space the resulting file takes up then approximate the limit based on your free space.

2 replies

Aug 21, 2020 5:57 AM in response to KSiddons

I’ve done recordings of over 2 ½ hours without issues. I think the length of recording will be more dependent on speed of CPU/processors, amount of RAM, available free storage space, and open apps. The iMac I use is a 5K 2017 27” iMac with 64GB RAM, and I record to an 8 TB external 7200RPM drive connected via USB-3. I always make sure only the essential apps are open before i begin recording.

The screen recordings I do are for remote learning of Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and I record both audio and video. These are pretty processor and memory intensive apps, so less demanding apps may not require as much memory etc. I hope this helps.

Screen Recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.