You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app is giving me a sign in error unable to signin with username and password

Mail app has been giving me a error when I try to sign into my email.

When I check the web login, I am able to do so.

Also for the past 2 months, I am not able to send out email from this email...

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 9:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 9:46 PM

Since your webmail login is fine, then it's definitely not an email/password issue on your part. It sounds like they "keychain" entry that the Mac has saved for your incoming (IMAP or POP) mail account has gotten corrupted recently. It also sounds like the outgoing (SMTP) keychain entry has been corrupted for the past 2 months.

Usually, simply (or "simply" since it can be a little intimidating) opening up the Keychain Access App (via Spotlight search on your Mac), clicking the "Passwords" category on the bottom left and finding the two associated entries (they should both will have a blue circle @-symbol) and clicking on them and deleting them will clear this up and then you'll be prompted for the passwords and the Mac will be able to appropriately save and use them. If you can't find any you can search for "smtp" and it should filter the list for your outgoing mail saved password. You can also try searching for "imap" or "pop" for the incoming mail saved password entry to delete.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2020 9:46 PM in response to elroyFernandes

Since your webmail login is fine, then it's definitely not an email/password issue on your part. It sounds like they "keychain" entry that the Mac has saved for your incoming (IMAP or POP) mail account has gotten corrupted recently. It also sounds like the outgoing (SMTP) keychain entry has been corrupted for the past 2 months.

Usually, simply (or "simply" since it can be a little intimidating) opening up the Keychain Access App (via Spotlight search on your Mac), clicking the "Passwords" category on the bottom left and finding the two associated entries (they should both will have a blue circle @-symbol) and clicking on them and deleting them will clear this up and then you'll be prompted for the passwords and the Mac will be able to appropriately save and use them. If you can't find any you can search for "smtp" and it should filter the list for your outgoing mail saved password. You can also try searching for "imap" or "pop" for the incoming mail saved password entry to delete.

Aug 22, 2020 9:33 PM in response to elroyFernandes

In a browser log into your WebMail for a test.

Have you changed your eMail password 2 moths ago?

Works sometimes even if you haven’t

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Restart to clear some caches.

The big bugaboo with Mail is finding the keychain for any auto setup Mail accounts, if IMAP it usually involves deleting the account & setting it up again to fix it.

Mail app is giving me a sign in error unable to signin with username and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.