You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The storage on my ipad is full.

Ipad storage is full. I’ve cleaned out what i can understand to do but not sure i am getting everything. The biggest is my photos which are backed up on the cloud. You cannot delete photos (or at least that is what is happening for me) without deleting them from the cloud. What am i doing wrong?

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 3:43 AM

You might not be doing anything wrong...

As for Photo’s in iCloud, you need to understand that this service is intended to provide synchronisation of your locally stored photo’s with other device (such as your iPhone) - and usefully provides access to your photo’s should something untoward happen to your device(s).

A key point to note is that Photos in iCloud is not an external archive - independent of your device. Photo’s are deleted from iCloud (and any associated devices signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID) as soon as they are deleted from a device.

You might choose to share with us details of your iPad model and its storage - along with how your storage is used by category. You can find your iPad model info in Settings > About - and your storage use at Settings > General > iPad Storage.

With a better understanding of the problem, we may be able to offer some constructive advice.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2020 3:43 AM in response to 260vic

You might not be doing anything wrong...

As for Photo’s in iCloud, you need to understand that this service is intended to provide synchronisation of your locally stored photo’s with other device (such as your iPhone) - and usefully provides access to your photo’s should something untoward happen to your device(s).

A key point to note is that Photos in iCloud is not an external archive - independent of your device. Photo’s are deleted from iCloud (and any associated devices signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID) as soon as they are deleted from a device.

You might choose to share with us details of your iPad model and its storage - along with how your storage is used by category. You can find your iPad model info in Settings > About - and your storage use at Settings > General > iPad Storage.

With a better understanding of the problem, we may be able to offer some constructive advice.

The storage on my ipad is full.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.