You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

found an apple xs iphone.Could not find owners info. have erased content and try to transfer my iphone 7 to it but it says " activation lock" this phone is linked to an Apple ID....

how may i get in to transfer my iphone 7 to my found iphone xs??

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:05 AM

It's not possible to do what you are trying to do without having the owner of the phone provide the information. It is still linked to their Apple ID and since they lost it and are probably looking for it, they have not removed it from their account.

6 replies

Sep 8, 2020 2:19 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have exactly the same problem. I reported the phone to the police (believe it or not there are some honest people out there), I have a police report number & 10 months on the police say it belongs to me. I have tried apple & the network provider but no joy. It's so sad that in times when we are trying to save our planet I have been told the phone is useless & will go to landfill.

Sep 8, 2020 7:00 AM in response to recyclenotlandfill

recyclenotlandfill wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. I reported the phone to the police (believe it or not there are some honest people out there), I have a police report number & 10 months on the police say it belongs to me. I have tried apple & the network provider but no joy. It's so sad that in times when we are trying to save our planet I have been told the phone is useless & will go to landfill.

Whether the phone goes to a land fill is entirely up to you. If you consider yourself an honest man and want to “save the planet" then you will properly recycle it via Apple’s recycling plan where it will be disassembled and materials reused. It’s up to you.

Activation lock is a theft deterrent and cannot be overridden or bypassed.

found an apple xs iphone.Could not find owners info. have erased content and try to transfer my iphone 7 to it but it says " activation lock" this phone is linked to an Apple ID....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.