You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My storage is full. How can I do now?

My phone storage is full. How can I repair it?

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 2:45 AM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2020 5:48 AM in response to maksuda227

You have bought more iCloud storage which isn't the same thing as local internal iPhone storage. You cannot expand your local iPhone/iPad storage, you would need to buy a new iPhone/iPad with more internal storage to begin with.

iCloud storage can be used to offload certain types of files like Photos, Notes, Mail etc... but it won't affect your local storage space.

It is working, it just has a different purpose. The 200 GBs is an expansion for your iCloud storage. You get 5 GBs of iCloud Storage for free with every Apple ID and you can expand that to 50 GBs, 200 GBs or 2 TBs via a monthly subscription. It does not add to or change your iPhone's local storage.

iCloud Storage is not the same as local iPhone storage and therefore it cannot be used to extent your existing storage of your iPhone/iPad which is 16 GBs, 32 GBs, 64 GBs, 128 GBs, 256 GBs or 512 GBs or even 1 TB (iPad Pro).

iCloud Storage is either 5 GBs (free), 50 GBs, 200 GBs or 2 TBs.

iCloud storage is meant to offload smaller things to Apple's Servers like your contacts, notes, calendar entries, reminders, passwords, your Safari Reading List, messages etc... so you can backup them in case you need to restore your phone and also to sync them between other Apple Devices you may own.

It's not meant to expand your iPhone/iPad Storage, which cannot be expanded, when you buy an iPhone/iPad you get to choose between different storage options which are listed above.

iCloud Storage is tied to your Apple ID and it can be used on all Apple Devices you may own, from the Mac to the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.

You can also delete files or move files to a computer if you don't need them to free up space.

You can see what's taking up Internal Storage: Settings --> General --> iPhone Storage/iPad Storage

You can view your iCloud Storage under: Settings --> "Your Name" --> iCloud

If you do not longer need the extended iCloud storage plan, you should be able to cancel the plan there and maybe even get a refund.

For more information about iCloud Storage, please refer to this support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206504

My storage is full. How can I do now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.