You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina install fail, will NOT go into Safe Mode

I have a 2018 27" iMac that's always performed flawlessly. That is, until trying to install Catalina. Like another issue in the forums marked as RESOLVED, it hangs at just before the bar finishes. This machine rebooted itself at least four times, and I've since rebooted it another four or five times to get out of this screen.

So I followed the advice in that article which said to download the update manually, then reboot into SAFE Mode.

Unfortunately, it's totally stuck on this screen. I reboot, hold the shift key, and the bar goes back about a quarter inch from the right, and works its way back to showing 1/8" to go. Period. It will not leave this screen.

It's starting to feel like this install bricked the machine. Grrrrrrr!

Please help! Thank you!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 8:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 8:29 AM

Please refer to If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support; specifically, "Learn what to do if your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar."

I understand you already tried Safe Mode which was unsuccessful. Exhaust the rest of those steps, all the way through to and including the end.

Similar questions

4 replies

Catalina install fail, will NOT go into Safe Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.